Date Posted: February 1, 2018
Job Description: Outside Machinist
Level of Education:
- Graduate of high school, GED, trade school, or industrial school.
- Shipyard apprenticeship program or supplemental vocational training beyond high school in shipboard installation trade.
Job Category: Shipboard Industrial
Job Title: Outside Machinist
- Minimum of five (5) years of shipboard experience in the modification, fabrication, repair, assembly, and installation of various metal structural parts of ships.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques used in the fabrication of mechanical components.
- Possess practical knowledge of mechanical equipment, structures and metals; laying out, cutting, and shaping metals parts; and, positioning, alignment, and securing of parts and subassemblies.
- Performs layout, fabrication, assembly, installation, operation, maintenance, modification, and testing of mechanical components, apparatus and equipment.
- Sets up and operates equipment, test apparatus, test equipment, diagnostic devices and related equipment.
- Drafts detail drawings or sketches for drafting room completion or to request parts.
- Devises, fabricates and assembles new or modified mechanical components or assemblies.
- Records test procedures and results, performs routine analysis and calculations; and makes recommendations for changes in equipment, product or test methods.
Qualified applicant must be able to work aboard ships, climbing, bending, and working in confined spaces. Must be a U.S. citizen and be eligible for a government security clearance. Drug testing required before hiring.
Five (5) years experience in Auxiliary systems, including; HM&E system repair, installation, modification, and testing of Navy equipment or systems.
AIT is an EEO employer and does not discriminate against age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.