Date posted: February 1, 2018
Job Description: Structural Welder
The Structural Welder is responsible for welding/fabrication projects around the facility. Must be able to read blueprints and specifications to plan work and fabrication layout. Performs hand grinding and polishing if needed, to prepare materials or meet customer specifications. Constantly checks quality of own work to meet or exceed quality standards. Completes all required paperwork including labor reporting. Works safely and maintains the work area with high standards of housekeeping.
- Multi-pass. All position fillet and butt welds using the following processes: SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding), GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding), and FCAW (Flux Cored Arc Welding).
- Heating – Oxygen/Propane Heating Torch.
- Experience working in a physically demanding environment (shipboard, sub-assemblies, ladders, staging, etc.).
- Familiarity with OSHA regulations relative to the shipbuilding industry.
- Air Carbon Arc Gouging.
- Ability to properly use fillet and butt weld gauges.
All Welders will be required to pass all position, Multi-pass Butt Weld, Welder Qualification Tests prior to reporting for the first day of productive work. These tests will be in accordance with MIL-STD-248D Paragraph 5.3.3 and the following:
- All position (Horizontal (2G), Vertical (3G), and Overhead (4G)) SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding) process.
- All position (Horizontal (2G), Vertical (3G), and Overhead (4G)) FCAW (Flux Core Arc Welding) process.
- Horizontal (2G) position GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding) process.
- Air Carbon Arc Gouging proficiency test.
- Must be U.S. Citizen
- Must pass drug and background screening
- Must be 18+ years of age
AIT is an EEO employer and does not discriminate against age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.